Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Elder Myers October 11, 2010

Hello everyone! How are you?
The people
Our area is mostly going great and I am very grateful for the miracles and baptisms we have seen. I know that the Lord is really blessing us. Again notwithstanding the present blessings we are receiving we are of course experiencing some discouragement. We both feel like we are babysitting a lot of the people we work with. Sometimes the less fortunate areas really provide some difficult and very frustrating problems. A lot of this is due to the many dysfunctional families, difficult economic situations, lack of opportunities and the overall culture. We are experiencing a lot of this especially with Sergio and his family. We are praying and really trying to know what to do and how we can help. At the moment he is slipping into inactivity for a myriad of different reasons despite our efforts. It seems like every day his relationship with his family, especially his mom worsens. About a week ago we dropped her as she was not keeping our appointments. Now it looks like she doesn't support him going to church, but then again we don't know because they are saying so many contradicting things and don't know what the truth is. I know it will all work out if we have faith and pray for revelation but we feel a little overwhelmed trying to get him self sufficient- at just getting to church/finding rides by himself.
On a brighter note, we have been teaching the twins, Kaela and Korey. They have committed to baptism (still working on a date), came to church (Kaela came to General Conference too) and are keeping their commitments (they are very bright and I was astounded at how much they remembered from 1 Nephi 1- they even inferred that the 12 people mentioned in the scripture were the 12 apostles)! We had been teaching them at their best friends house, who is part of a less active/part member family, because they were always over there. The only thing is, we had to refer them to the Zone Leaders as they cannot speak Spanish. It was hard to refer them over and not be able to go to church with them yesterday. At least they will still receive the gospel, which is what matters. So we are still excited for them.
What is going on the brain of Elder Myers?...
(....who knows? Not me!)
Elder Franson and I are doing really well. To be honest though, I feel like I could be working harder. I feel like I have sort of hit a slump where I am just coasting, if you know what I am mean. I know that I have a lot of love for the people I work with and I really want whats best for them (the gospel). In that sense I am really getting into the work/people and starting to really understand missionary work (not just teaching lessons and baptisms but changing lives for eternity).
In addition to starting to really learn more about the mission and myself; my testimony has grown a lot as of late. It has been steadily growing since I came into the mission, but I feel like it has turned a corner or something these past couple of months. This makes everything a whole lot better-from tracting to more spiritual power in lessons to all around enthusiasm for the work. At the same time I feel like I am coasting the mid mission slump and I want to snap out of it... I know what I have to do to get out of it so now I just have to do it.
My goals:
1) Read doctrine and covenants in Spanish by mid November (I have it all mapped out, 10 pages a day...)
2) Rely on the Lord more especially through prayer. I am trying to get better at recognizing the promptings of the Spirit and at knowing how exactly I can receive specific personal revelation for myself and the area.
Although I am getting a lot better- I am still worrying too much/over thinking things... Sometimes I worry about what people think/the world/stupid things/things I cannot control/if I am learning or growing/what I am going to be like after the mission/if I am a good missionary etc.... I know I need to just turn my life over to Him and stop resisting/thinking too much myself. If I forget myself and go to work to change others, I will actually change myself.
3) Be more diligent.
4) Argue less, or just not get worked up. Elder Franson and I both like to debate and that's ok, but sometimes we both get too into it. We have only come away sour from one debate but that was good month ago. So I know the spirit of contention but if you have a good, healthy, calm, logical debate that seems ok to me...
5) Somehow simplify and limit my goals so I am not so overwhelmed...
I am really trying to find out who the Lord wants me to be (not what others say I should be). OK no, that is a bad way to say it. I am working on becoming/creating/defining who the Lord wants me to become. I guess its not so much of searching as it is becoming. The only thing is that, like I said before I am really trying to get the specifics of personal revelation down... Sometimes it is hard to know how to recognize the Spirit/answers to your prayers...
Love!
Elder Myers