Saturday, October 18, 2014

October 11, 2014



A week full of highs and lows, but mostly highs :) 


Another BOMB tuesday devo: the Nielsons came (hes in the 70). Sister Nielson spoke on the significance of the pruning process we all go through as missionaries. as missionies we are pruned  and stripped of everything from our old life that made us "Us" just like a rose bush each year has to be pruned. Christ the vine is continually offering us grace and truth as a means of help. this is a process of growth. This helped me bc I know that as I become my "new" self or a disciple of Christ I will receive strength from the vine. 
Elder Nielson spoke on the lessons he wishes he had knowns in the MTC. Things that stood out to me:

  • Remember Christ's words as he was in agony and said "Nervertheless, not my will, but thine be done" we should follow this pattern in our deepest struggles
  • The atonement took the blood of the very best man that ever walked this Earth. we can do hard things, this life isn't meant to be easy. 
  • My companion is on my team; she can be my best friend and ally, she chose to come here too to work at the same purpose as me.... 
  • Heavens are open to everyone! Matthew 16: 13-16 . our job as missionaries is to help everyone feel a connection to heaven by always inviting. the words we should most often speak are "will you?" then they exercise faith and agency and feel God's love and their rite to personal revelation! 
  • Our efforts produce eternal results, the people we touch in turn thouch others and families are blessed and it just keeps going
  • Sometimes it's hard to know how to become? but Christ said. "do the things ye have seen me do" this helps me feel comforted bc in every single moment I don't have to worry here about hwat to do or what is most effective if I try my best to do as He would do to serve and lift others. We all have the opportunity to begin a process of becoming like Christ on this earth. 
  • Think less about yourself, then Hermana Myers will officially arrive. he said it's not about you, but if you make it not about you then in the end it's all about you, I liked this a lot. 
  • Reminds me of Bednar's conference talk for nonmembers. how when we are turning to Christ, we are also simultaneously turning outward and want, like Lehi wanted, for all those we know to taste of the fruit, this is why we want to share the gospel. we have expereinced and tasted as we have turned to Christ. 
Other thoughts from this week: 
  • covenants are important because they allow us to show love for God and bring us to repentance each day. they also are necessary so God can let us back in! help investigators see this beacuse convenants, like baptism are goals to reach for and provide purpose and perspective that they cannot see from the beginning like the missinoaries can. 
Scriptures I found myself using a lot this week in lessons: 
  • Alma 34:32 purpose of this life is to prepare to meet God
  • Moroni 7: 33-34 with faith we have the power to decide to go to church or baptism or anything really, our steps are laid out for us in verse 34. same as steps in missionary purpose statement... cool
  • 1 Tim 4:12 be an example of a believer! 
This week I had some low points too. It has finally hit that's it's not easy being a girl in a district with 4 elders. really for the most part they are actually very mature but Thursday was hard to focus with them and I wasted a lot of time being distracted and they were watching mormon messages and being goofy and I really wanted to work so hard this week bc we are almost leaving. I know they have a desire to work but it's just different. I was frsutrated that in the moment I didn't know how to be a  better leader and example amd allowed myself to get distracted too for too long before removing myself to go and try to study. they already jokingly tease me that I wil be a good mom one day bc I am disciplined and also they joke that I work too hard ha... for me it's funny bc It is actually harder for me here to be as focused as I was in high school even. it's just a different kind of studying and working. I don't want to be the bossy sister but at the same time I know I can be a good influence and taht we should be working harder at times for sure. they came in teh other room thursday nighat the end and apologized and shook my hands and promised that that was the last party until the end hah. it was sweet. sometimes it would be nive to have another female voice... but this week will be better and the high points of the week definitely drowned out the lows. I know I will be wanting elder time when I am with a drama queen companion in the field lol. 

Awesome investigator story: 
taught a TRC investigator named Marco (shoutout to Dad, bring you back to Buenos Aires a bit?) 
He is awesome, he was acting like a nonmember and we taught him a little each night. BUt last night it was our last lesson and he totally opened up when Elder Smith asked what we could pray for him? He broke down and described how his wife is a member but not strong and he wants her more than anything to love the Lord how he does because heh knows it will help her and their family so much. he was hurting a lot. and elder Osgood and I were able to relate well and he kept talking about how the temple was so important to him bc he knows that if we are obedient and love God more than anything than we will receive blessings. He has polio also and wasn't able to serve a full time mission like he wanted. I told him that he blessed our lives though and that God is aware of all the service he gives. He strengthened each of our testimonies. one thing I loved that he said "we each have the same power to receive revelation liek a prophet. He said when you speak it is you speaking but I hear 3 little prophets speaking" so neat to think about the power of our calling and how we have the ability in a sense like a prophet to bless, serve and direct. Towards the end, the Spirit was strong and Elder Smith felt prompted to ask him if he wanted a blessing for comfort. I got to witness Elder Osgood and SMith give Marco a blessing. Super cool experience. Elder Osgood said after that he felt the SPirit more strongly when he laid his hands on Marco's head than ever before. the words were simple but elder smith said that it happened like everyone says and he knew what to say and i knew that Marco needed to hear that. A strong testimony builder of the power of the priesthood. it is on this earth to bless and serve eveyone. 

I hope you have an amazing week. one pday left in the MTC, so crazy! I Love you all. thanks for your prayers and support and faith in me. 

almost in another country.... weird. 
Te Querido, 
Hermana Myers