Monday, November 22, 2010

Elder Myers Nov. 22, 2010

I love you all! Stay warm! (haha I do think I am turning into a wuss though, I suddenly have to wear a sweater vest and a long sleeve shirt in 60 deg weather! The "cold" here is def easier to escape- don't have to wear five jackets to feel slightly less cold!)

We also played the annual turkey bowl football game today! Our zone won one game and lost one. We lost one to a zone with three huge Polynesians (one who played as a freshman on the U of U team!!) I love being active, but don't get much time to do it!

transfers!
President was nice enough to let us now in an interview that we will be staying together. He usually doesn't do that unless there are changes in leadership which there weren't for us... Also, per the ward boundary changes our area will change too. We will switch with some of the ward members over to a Spanish ward in Inglewood. We will be in the same apartment but we will be in a different zone... Both Elder Franson and I are pretty excited to tackle a (semi) new area again together! I think it will help us keep up the upward slope in hard work. So the only downside is we don't know how thanksgiving dinner is going to work... I bet we just take over for the old elders and eat with someone we don't know. We might ask a family we are very close with- there are two potentials who would feed us with only a day or two notice if they don't already have plans....

A snapshot at the area
finding
We are still doing finding, on Sunday we found one guy who looks pretty promising in the trailer park of Manuel and his family. He lives north of Rosecrans so that means it will probably be in our new area.
Manuel and co. (investigators)
As for Manuel and co. we checked them around three times this past week to no avail. We decided that if they haven't kept their commitments to read and pray we will drop them. We did talk to him once but he had no time and to call him. We think that learning about the true gospel is low on their priority list, which is always sad.

Oscar (16yr old investigator)
We will have to refer our investigator Oscar to the new elders because he lives south of Rosecrans. He is still keeping his commitments and seems very sincere in his interest in discovering and following truth. His mom still isn't really letting him go to church though.

Sergio (16yr old recent convert)
We have officially been forbidden by Sergio's mom (same lady who burned the copy of the Book of Mormon a few weeks ago...) to come over any more. After weeks of trying to get on her good side by doing everything from offering to help around the house (which she denied all but 3ish times) to making brownies for her. She also said that he couldn't go to church anymore. He will probably be in our new area so we will keep praying and thinking creatively to help fix this very sad situation.

Me
I am basically not worrying about anything right now. I have found that if I just do stuff instead of think of stuff (ie just read the Book of Mormon and pray and not think about my testimony or just go out and do work instead of worrying about if I am a good missionary...) it all works out.yeah that sound silly but I cant really describe what is going on in my brain.. I am pretty sure that I always knew this but now I am finally putting it into practice.
I love reading the Book of Mormon right now for the mission challenge to read and highlight all references to the Savior by New Years. Well I guess I lied, I do worry about whether or not to read the Book of Mormon in Spanish or English... haha I think I am going to switch over to Spanish...
I am really trying to focus on good habit making as part of my "just do-it" attitude. This one seems a little more tough than just not worrying as much... ie I am trying to keep up to date on my journal and have better study habits besides just reading the BoM

LOVE
Elder Myers